Founded to Fill a Need
Realizing that many blind children were being denied the education they needed and deserved, Dr. Jessie Royer-Greaves founded Royer-Greaves School for the Blind in 1921. Other schools that accepted students with visual impairments then only accepted those who could demonstrate a minimum IQ score. Dr. Royer-Greaves realized that this left the vast potential of many young people unmet, and founded Royer-Greaves for them. This was a pioneering concept; ours was the first school of its kind in the country. Named in memory of her father, Dr. Joseph Warren Royer, and her husband, Harry R. Greaves, Royer-Greaves School for Blind opened at her home in Stafford before moving to King of Prussia and then, in 1941, to its current location on a small estate in Paoli. Royer-Greaves was incorporated as a nonprofit educational institution in 1943 and has since been governed by a Board of Directors composed of volunteer community representatives.
Changing with our Students and Adult Program Participants
The attributes and needs of the Royer-Greaves student body have evolved over time, particularly as more children with disabilities have been main-streamed into public school classrooms. As a result, Royer-Greaves students have profound disabilities and need more intensive, individualized attention and education. Because of this changing student profile, the Board of Directors also recognized a continuum of services was needed to serve these students as they entered adulthood. Our adult residential program was created in 1989, and in 1990, our Adult Training Facility was licensed. In 2000, Royer-Greaves implemented its Deaf/Blind Program, serving students with both visual and hearing impairments. We continue to look to the future with and for our students and adults, utilizing the latest in assistive technology to support their education, training and daily lives.