Should YOU Open Your Home and Heart to a Lifesharing Adult?
Lifesharing providers – those who welcome an adult with special needs into their homes – come from all walks of life and many different circumstances.
Some drawn to this important role have limited experience in providing for an adult with special needs – that’s where Royer-Greaves Services’ free, comprehensive training and on-going support come in! Providers will
- Gain a new friend who feels like family.
- Become more involved in the community.
- Receive a stipend.
For other Lifesharing households, the program recognizes and supports an existing living arrangement. In these homes, the adult with special needs is often a relative. Lifesharing through Royer-Greaves offers many benefits for such households:
- Formalization of the arrangement as a Lifeshare allows the household to receive the same tax-deferred stipend and money to pay for home modifications that any other Lifesharing household would.
- On-going support, advice, and guidance from Royer-Greaves staff can help the household better provide for the adult with special needs.
What is Expected of a Lifesharing Family? Is Lifesharing Right For My Household?
If you are a compassionate person or family with space home and heart for an adult with special needs, Lifesharing may be just the life-changing, rewarding experience you’re looking for! Lifeshare providers:
- Provide a quality home life that is mutually beneficial to all.
- Include Lifeshare adults in household activities from outings to chores.
- Attend medical appointments with the Lifesharing person.
- Ensure their homes meet basic state safety standards.
- Undergo a criminal background check and child abuse clearance.
- Complete a home study and intake process.
- Become licensed by the Pennsylvania Bureau of Human Services.
“Even having worked with people who have intellectual disabilities for many years, I never knew that I would become a Lifesharing parent. Victoria is a fun-loving lady. She is hardworking, funny, and is always smiling. Victoria loves my family, and she loves our church. My life has changed for the better with Victoria around. I just like to see her living a great life, as she keeps a smile on my face.”-- Senneh, Lifesharing host
For more information, contact our Director of Lifesharing at Royer-Greaves Services at 610-644-1810.
Listen to this page in English:
Escuchar la pagina en Español: